Coronation Meadows Appeal
About this product
Only small fragments of flower-rich meadows and grasslands still survive, with a staggering 97% of meadows lost since the 1930s. We want to change this. Plantlife works closely with partners, The Wildlife Trusts and the Rare Breeds Survival Trust to reverse this trend, helping to conserve and create meadows.
So far, Coronation Meadows has:
- Created and restored 90 meadows, totalling around 1,000 acres, in 60 counties in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Nurtured over 50,000 plug plants for planting into the meadows
- Involved nearly 1,000 volunteers in bringing meadows back to life where they live, haymaking, spreading green hay and collecting wild flower seed by hand
- Trained more than 70 land managers so that they can now care for their own wild flower meadows over the years to come
- Shown over 100 volunteer surveyrs how to monitor their meadows, so they can track changes over time
This year we hope to spend more than £100,000 on Coronation Meadows. The generous support of BIFFA Award, part of the Landfill Communities Fund, will cover just over 60% of this but we need to raise the rest. This funding means that for every £20 donated, we will have £50 to create and protect meadows.
It costs approximately £1,500 to create a new hectare of wild flower meadow and £250 per day to monitor a Coronation Meadow.
BIFFA Award has funded Coronation Meadows since our launch but this is likely to be the final year. Your help now would allow us to make the most of the grant available and start planning the next phase of the project.
Wild flower meadows: fragile fragments of history and yet, in their midsummer glory, bursting with a vibrancy of life that is hard to beat. Please help us extend them a lifeline. We promise you we’ll use every donation well. The work we have done so far shows than we can succeed.